Winix HR900 Ultimate Pet 5-Stage True HEPA Air Purifier
Winix HR900 Ultimate Pet is a true HEPA, high-capacity air purifier, suitable for both large areas and single rooms.
Winix HR900 Ultimate Pet doesn't feature advanced features like Bluetooth and WiFi connectivity and it doesn't support Amazon Alexa nor Google Home Assistant. But, Winix HR900 Ultimate Pet offers excellent performances, simple use, and maintenance at an affordable price, making it one of the most popular models in its class.
Published: January 2, 2021.
Winix HR900 Ultimate Pet Features and Specifications
Winix HR900 Ultimate Pet is a tower-shaped air purifier, featuring physical dimensions of 16.3 x 9.6 x 23.6 inches (~41.4 x 24.4 x 60 cm) and it weighs 18.7 pounds (18.5 kg) - it is anything but a small air purifier and should be placed on the floor.
Unit is intended for areas of up to 300 sq. ft. (~28 m2) and features CADR (Clean Air Delivery Rate) ratings of 264 for dust, 301 for pollen, and 258 for smoke.
Also, Winix HR900 is capable of 5 full air changes and air purifications per hour, based on the AHAM verified room size - when the unit operates at maximum fan speed.
Winix HR900 is rated at 90 watts, max. However, air purifiers, in general, are often set to operate at low speed or even using Sleep Mode - such operation offers continuous, 'whisper' quiet, air purification. For example, the minimum noise level of Winix HR900 is just 27 dB, making it suitable even for bedrooms.
Note: Although Winix HR900 is a very simple to use and maintain air purifier, when it arrives, be sure to read the manual and before the very first use, be sure to remove air filters from their protective bag.
Winix HR900 Air Filtration System
Winix HR900 features a multilayered air filtration system, ensuring true HEPA air purification - Winix HR900 is able to filter out and capture at least 99.97% of 0.3 μm or larger particles, making it suitable not only for pet owners and people having issues with asthma and allergies but for all people wanting to improve the air quality at their homes.
Winix HR900 air filtration system include:
1. Pet Filter is a replaceable air filter, intended to capture larger airborne particles, including pet hair and similar.
2. Pre-filter is a washable air filter, intended to capture larger airborne particles that have manage to pass the pet filter.
3. Advanced Odor Control (AOC) carbon air filter is a washable and replaceable air filter, intended for capturing VOCs (Volatile Organic Compounds) and odors from pets, cooking, smoke, and similar.
4. True HEPA Air Filter captures the finest airborne particles, down to 0.3 μm. This filter is NOT washable.
5. PlasmaWave air filtration system uses plasma to capture even the tiniest airborne particles that have somehow managed to pass through the HEPA air filter. Since plasma air filtration system may create ozone in trace amounts (far below safety levels), PlasmaWave can be turned off - when the unit is set to Night Mode, PlasmaWave is automatically turned Off.
By combining all these filtration layers, Winix HR900 ensures that the exhaust air is practically nothing but pure air.
Winix HR900 Controls
Winix HR900 features a very simple and intuitive Control Panel on top of the unit.
Winix HR900 controls include:
- Odor Sensor detects the amount of odors in the air and if the unit is set to Auto mode, automatically adjusts the fan speed according to the detected amount of air pollutants.
- Light Sensor detects the amount of ambient light in the environment.
- Filter Replacement Indicator signals to the user when it is time to change the air filters. Filter Reset Button allows the user to reset the Filter Replacement Indicator.
- Power Button turns the unit On and Off.
- Fan Speed Indicator signals the current fan speed (Sleep, Auto, Low, Medium, High, Turbo).
- Mode Button allows the user to set the fan speed.
- PlasmaWave Indicator signals if the PlasmaWave is turned On or Off.
- Timer Indicator signals the set time of the timer, if the timer has been set.
- Child Lock Indicator signals if the Child Lock Mode is enabled or not.
Also, the front side of the Winix HR900 features Air Quality Indicator, signaling to the user current air quality, detected by Winix HR900 smart sensors.
Air Quality Indicator status may be:
- Blue: air quality is good.
- Yellow: air quality is fair.
- Red: air quality is poor.
Personally, if the fan speed is set manually and if the smart sensors are detecting fair and especially poor air quality, increase the fan speed or set the unit to Auto Mode, at least during the day.
Winix HR900 Maintenance
Winix HR900 is a very simple air purifier to maintain - be sure to keep the air filters in good condition:
- Pet Filter is not a washable air filter and it should be replaced every month, although this depends on the air quality and amount of airborne particles. When Winix HR900 arrives, the package contains 12(!) Pet AiR filters - enough for at least a year.
- Fine Mesh Pre-Filter is a washable air filter. When replacing the Pet Filter, it is good practice to wash/rinse Pre-Filter and let it air dry completely.
- Advanced Odor Control (AOC) carbon filter is a washable air filter, but it should be replaced once a year. AOC carbon filter loses its ability to absorb VOCs and odors over time, even if they are washed - for short, when replacing the true HEPA air filter, replace the AOC carbon filter, too. After all, they come as a bundle - Winix Filter-T.
- True HEPA Air Filter is not washable and should be replaced once a year or when signaled by the unit.
Note: be sure to read the manual for exact maintenance procedures.
Long Story Short: Winix HR900 Ultimate Pet 5-Stage True HEPA Air Purifier is a large, sturdy, and reliable air purifier that comes with a 2-year limited warranty.
It is a 'set and forget' air purifier, especially when set in Auto Mode. The fact that it doesn't come with many advanced features present on some more expensive models, makes this air purifier rather affordable and even more - popular.
If You are looking for a larger, true HEPA air purifier intended for areas up to 300 sq. ft. (~28 m2), consider this model. And thanks to its Sleep Mode/Low Mode, it is suitable even for smaller children's rooms and bedrooms, too.
For more reviews and recommendations, feel free to check Winix HR900 Ultimate Pet Air Purifier Amazon link (link opens in the new window).