Winix 5500-2 True HEPA Air Purifier
Winix 5500-2 is a true HEPA air purifier, coming with several important features like PlasmaWave technology, washable Advanced Odor Control (AOC) carbon filter, HEPA air filter, remote control, stylish design, and similar.
Winix 5500-2 is suitable for areas up to 360 sq. ft. (~33.5 m2) and with several cleaning modes, fan speeds, and air quality sensors, it can be used to make a home more pleasant and safer to live in.
Updated: December 8, 2021.
Winix 5500-2 HEPA Air Purifier Features and Specifications
Winix 5500-2 physical dimensions are 8.2 × 15.0 × 23.6 inches (~20.8 x 38.1 x 60 cm) and it weighs 15.4 pounds (~7 kg) - it is anything but a small and lightweight air purifier.
Unit is rated at 70 watts and during operation, it is a rather quiet unit, especially in Sleep mode.
Winix 5500-2 features AHAM verified maximum room size of 360 sq. ft. (~33.5 m2) - it is suitable for large rooms and even smaller apartments.
Airflow through the unit depends on the mode of operation and is given in Cubic Feet per Minute (CFM):
- Sleep Mode: 35.31 CFM,
- Low Mode: 70.63 CFM,
- Medium Mode: 91.82 CFM,
- High Mode: 123.60 CFM,
- Turbo: 240.14 CFM.
Due to the large potential airflow and multilayered air filtration, Winix 5500-2 features CADR (Clean Air Delivery Rate) ratings of 243 for Dust, 246 for Pollen, and 232 for Smoke.
Winix 5500-2 Air Purifier Controls
Winix 5500-2 is controlled via an onboard console found on top of the unit and via remote control with approximately 20 ft. range.
From left to right:
- Power On/Off Button is used to turn the unit on and off,
- Mode Button is used for setting the desired mode of operation (Sleep, Auto),
- Air Quality Indicator colored LEDs to signal one of three detected levels or air quality: red (poor air quality), amber (fair), blue (good),
- PlasmaWave Button is used for turning PlasmaWave on and off,
- PlasmaWave Indicator signals to the user if the PlasmaWave is enabled or not,
- Fan Speed Button lets the user set desired air speed: Low, Medium, High, Turbo,
- Fan Speed Indicator shows the current air speed,
- Timer Button allows the user to adjust timer settings to 1h, 2h, 8h, No Timer,
- Timer Indicator shows the set time of operation,
- Change Filter Indicator signals to the user that it is time to change the filter,
- Change Filter Reset Button should be pressed at least 5 seconds in order to reset the Change Filter Indicator,
- Light Sensor detects the amount of light in the room and adjusts the brightness of the console,
- Odor Sensor in Auto mode detects the amount of common household odors and adjusts the fan speed.
Note: When the unit arrives, be sure to read the manual thoroughly - the unit is very intuitive to operate, but there are a few very important details that are specific and rather important. For example, in order to protect the air filters, when the unit arrives, they are wrapped into protective plastic...
A remote control unit that comes with Winix 5500-2 has an operating range of some 20 feet (~6.1 m) and includes the On/Off button, Auto mode On/Off button, Fan Speed button, and Turbo mode button.
And that is all - simple, yet effective. To prevent the user from losing the remote control, it comes with a suitable wall mount, where it can be stored when not in use.
A remote control unit uses one lithium non-rechargeable 3.0 volts CR2025 battery - when the battery is almost discharged, the remote control will lose range at first and then stop operating completely.
Winix 5500-2 Air Filtration System
Three-stage purification system consists of:
- Advanced Odor Control (AOC) carbon air filter: washable carbon air filter protects against Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs), various odors, smoke, and similar air pollutants.
- True HEPA air filter captures 99.97% of 0.3 microns or larger particles, including allergens like pollen, mold spores, dust, pet dander, smoke particles, microbes, etc.
- PlasmaWave air filtration system instantly neutralize bacteria, VOCs, gases, odors, and similar, whole emitting ALMOST no harmful ozone.
Winix 5500-2 also comes with a mechanical pre-filter which protects the other air filters from larger particles and debris.
Filters are easy to maintain:
- Pre-filter is permanent and it should be cleaned every 14 days or as required,
- AOC Carbon filter is washable and it should be washed every three months and replaced every year,
- True HEPA air filter is NOT washable. It should be also replaced every year.
Winix 5500-2 uses Filter H (item number 116130) consisting of both true HEPA air filter and AOC carbon filter - so change them both at the same time.
Note: according to the Winix 5500-2 manual, PlasmaWave doesn't emit any ozone. However, if one digs a little bit deeper, the PlasmaWave system of Winix 5500-2 emits traces amounts of ozone, up to 10 parts per billion (0.01 parts per million) - if any.
According to the OSHA ozone exposure levels should be 0.1 parts per million or less, and EPA ozone exposure levels should be less than 0.075 parts per million.
In short, the amount of ozone that Winix 5500-2 emits is far below any significant level. But, for those that want to be absolutely sure, the PlasmaWave system can be turned off.
Again, negative ions produced by PlasmaWave don't mean ozone production, so if there is ozone produced/emitted, its levels are very very low.
Winix 5500-2 comes with two years limited warranty.
Winix 5500-2 HEPA Air Purifier Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Here are some of the most common questions about Winix 5500-2 HEPA Air purifier, about its features, performances, and operation:
Is Winix 5500-2 air purifier good?
Yes, if You are looking for a simple to use and maintain, true HEPA air purifier, Winix 5500-2 is an excellent air purifier.
Is the Winix 5500-2 safe? Is PlasmaWave technology harmful?
Yes, it is safe. The PlasmaWave does produce traces of ozone, but the amounts are really below recommended maximum values.
Also, the PlasmaWave system can be turned off - if You are not going to be in the room with the Winix 5500-2, feel free to turn the PlasmaWave On for an hour or two and the unit will thoroughly purify the air. After that, turn Off the PlasmaWave.
Note: even without the PlasmaWave system being turned On, Winix 5500-2 is a true HEPA air purifier.
How long does the Winix 5500-2 filter last?
On average, the filter set lasts one year, but this depends on the unit's use and the amount of air pollutants.
People with pets should replace the air filter more often.
Does Winix 5500-2 produce ozone?
Yes, traces of ozone, below maximum recommended amounts, are produced when the PlasmaWave is turned On.
Since PlasmaWave can be turned Off, Winix 5500-2 can be used as an ozone-free air purifier.
Should I leave my Winix 5500-2 air purifier on all the time?
Leaving air purifiers to operate constantly is perhaps the best method of keeping the air quality high - set the unit to Auto mode and let it automatically adjust the air speed.
During the night, just in case, set it to Sleep Mode.
How much ozone does Winix 5500-2 produce?
Exact information about ozone production is rather hard to find, but according to one of the official documents, Winix-2 5500 produces ~10 ppb (parts per billion) or 0.01 ppm (parts per million).
According to different standards, the amount of ozone in the air should be at most 0.075-0.1 ppm.
Can you wash Winix 5500-2 carbon filter?
Yes, Winix 5500-2 comes with an advanced carbon air filter that is washable - it should be washed every three months and replaced every year.
Long Story Short: Winix 5500-2 is a large and powerful (in terms of CADR ratings) true HEPA air purifier with very low maintenance costs.
When replacing air filters (Filter H, by Winix), be sure to go for an OEM air filter - one Filter H consists of both HEPA and carbon air filters, so be sure to replace them both.
Winix 5500-2 is not a WiFi-enabled unit and it can't be controlled with a smartphone, tablet, or any similar device. Perhaps that is one of the reasons why it is a so popular air purifier - one of the most popular units in its class.
For more reviews and recommendations, check Winix 5500-2 True HEPA Air Purifier Amazon link (link opens in the new window).