Honeywell HPA300 True HEPA Allergen Remover
Honeywell HPA300 True HEPA Whole Room Air Purifier with Allergen Remover is excellent high capacity, but also affordable air purifier, suitable even for large rooms. Thanks to the combination of active carbon filter and true HEPA air filter, Honeywell HPA300 captures 99.97% of 0.3 microns and larger microscopic allergens, mites, dust pet dander etc. and removes odors and harmful chemical compounds from the air that passes through the filters and exhausts practically clean air.
Published: May 8, 2018.
Honeywell HPA300 is true HEPA air purifier recommended for large(r) rooms, up to 465 square feet in size.
The size of most common home pollutants is: bacteria 0.3-10.0 micrometers, pollen 10.0-100.0 micrometers, pet and human hair 30.0-200.0 micrometers, dust mites 90.0-600.0 micrometers, sand 50.0-1000.0 micrometers, etc.
Honeywell HPA300 CADR ratings are:
- Smoke: 300 - unit can remove smoke from 300 cubic feet of air per minute.
- Dust: 320 - unit can remove dust from 320 cubic feet of air per minute.
- Pollen: 300 - unit can remove pollen from 300 cubic feet of air per minute.
When the unit is used in the room of recommended size, Honeywell HPA300 is able to filter whole room air 5x per hour.
Unit comes with 4 air cleaning levels: Germ, General Clean, Allergen and Turbo:
- Germ setting optimizes germ capturing performance. This setting is recommended for use during cold and flu season.
- General Clean setting is used for general, everyday air cleaning and is used most of the time.
- Allergen setting optimizes allergen capturing performance during allergen season.
- Turbo setting circulate air at the maximum speed and is intended for powerful air cleaning or fast odor reduction.
Honeywell HPA300 features automatic shut-off. The timer can be set to 2, 4, or 8 hours. This option is just optional, and if required, unit can work continuously.
Also, control panel light dimmer ensures that the unit can be used during the night, without keeping kids and pets awake due to strong control panel light.
Honeywell HPA300 physical dimensions are: 20.8 x 10.83 x 22.38 inches (~52.8 x 27.5 x 56.9 cm). Unit is anything but small and it is highly recommended to position it on the flat surface, preferably on the floor.
Honeywell HPA300 Air Filters
Air filtration is achieved using one activated carbon air pre-filter and using three HEPA air filters.
Note: Honeywell manufactures many several models of air purifiers, some of them are:
- HPA100 which uses one odor removing HRF-AP1 air pre-filter and one HRF-R1 true HEPA air filter and it is intended for use in medium rooms, up to 155 sq. ft.
- HPA200 which uses one odor removing HRF-AP1 air pre-filter and two HRF-R1 true HEPA air filters and it is intended for use in larger rooms, up to 310 sq. ft.
- HPA300 which uses one odor removing HRF-AP1 air pre-filter and three HRF-R1 true HEPA air filters and it is intended for use in large rooms, up to 465 sq. ft.
All three units come with 5 year limited warranty.
On average, Honeywell HPA300 filters should be replaced:
- odor removing HRF-AP1 air filter every three months,
- true HEPA HRF-R1 air filter every 12 months.
Again, these are average values and people with pets or those prone to various breathing issues should change these filters more often.
Since these filters are not cheap, unit comes with two electronic filter sensors to warn the user that it is time to change the filters.
Note: filters are not cheap, but they are not changed very often. Also, health of the users is even more important, thus always use genuine air filters, regardless what air purifier You have. Also, carbon filter comes in two versions: odor removing pre-filter (HRF-AP1) and odor and household gases removing pre-filter (HRF-APP1).
Honeywell HPA300 - Air Cooler or Heater?
During operation, at maximum setting, Honeywell HPA300 requires ~130 W of energy. Some users feel that their rooms are warmer and other that their rooms are actually cooler. So, what is going on?
Honeywell HPA300 takes the air from the room and after filtering it, exhaust the clean air into the room. Since it uses electricity, it acts as small air heater.
But, this unit also mixes the air in the room - hotter air is near the ceiling and colder air is near the floor. Depending on the local conditions, ceiling-floor air temperature difference and similar, this unit can make the room feel both warmer and colder - generally, since the air is mixed, air temperature difference will be lower, which is of course better and healthier.
Long Story Short: Honeywell HPA300 is high capacity air purifier with excellent air filtration. And it comes at excellent price, considering its features and specifications.
On the other side, changing carbon pre-filter ever three months can be little bit annoying, but ones you get used to it, it is done quickly and easily.
Honeywell HPA300 is low maintenance unit and easy to use, but before the the first use, it is highly recommended to thoroughly read the manual.
For more reviews and recommendations, check Honeywell HPA300 True HEPA Allergen Remover Amazon link (link opens in the new window).