Winix 5300-2 True HEPA Air Purifier
Winix 5300-2 is a large and powerful, true HEPA air purifier, featuring a carbon air filter, true HEPA air filter, PlasmaWave technology, stylish design, rather quiet operation, etc.
Winix 5300-2 is designed for large rooms of up to 360 sq.ft. (~33.5 m2). Thanks to its several cleaning modes and fan speeds, air quality sensor, filter sensors, etc. it is a highly recommended model for people not wanting too much of new technologies like WiFi, Amazon Alexa support, and similar, but they have the need for an air purifier that does its job well.
Published: October 8, 2020.
Winix 5300-2 True HEPA Air Purifier Specifications and Features
Winix 5300-2 is a rather large air purifier with physical dimensions of 8.2 × 15.0 × 23.6 inches (~20.8 x 38.1 x 60 cm) and a weight of 15.4 pounds (~7 kg).
Maximum Winix 5300-2 power consumption is 70 watts and during the operation, it is a rather quiet unit. According to the manufacturer, its noise levels are ~27.8 dB, allowing the unit to be used even during the night.
This unit is intended for large rooms and even smaller apartments, with AHAM verified maximum room size of 360 sq. ft. (~33.5 m2).
Actual air flow through the unit depends on the specified mode of operation and is given in CFM (Cubic Feet per Minute):
- Sleep Mode: 35.31 CFM,
- Low Mode: 70.63 CFM,
- Medium Mode: 91.82 CFM,
- High Mode: 123.60 CFM,
- Turbo: 240.14 CFM.
Obviously, as the air flow through the unit is increased, so is the unit's ability to deliver the clean air. However, the noise is also increased, but not much.
Due to the large air flow and multilayered air filtration, Winix 5300-2 features Clean Air Delivery Rate (CADR) ratings of 243 for Dust, 246 for Pollen, and 232 for Smoke.
Note: Winix 5300-2 Air Purifier is simple to use and maintain. But, when the unit arrives, be sure to read the manual in order to get accustomed to your new air purifier.
Winix 5300-2 Air Purifier Console
Winix 5300-2 is controlled via console found on top of the unit, featuring rather intuitive controls:
- Power On/Off Button turns the unit On and Off.
- Mode Button sets the required operation mode (Sleep, Auto),
- Air Quality Indicator features colored LEDs in order to signal one of three detected levels or air quality: red (poor air quality), amber (fair air quality), blue (good air quality).
- PlasmaWave Button turns PlasmaWave On and Off, while PlasmaWave Indicator signals if the PlasmaWave is enabled or not.
- Fan Speed Button sets the required air speed: Low, Medium, High, Turbo, while the Fan Speed Indicator shows the current air speed,
- Timer Button allows the user to adjust the timer to 1h, 2h, 8h, or 'No Timer', while the Timer Indicator shows the set time of operation.
- Change Filter Indicator signals to the user when it is time to change the air filters.
- Change Filter Reset Button resets Change Filter Indicator.
- Light Sensor detects the amount of light in the room and adjusts the brightness of the console accordingly.
- Odor Sensor in Auto mode detects the amount of common household odors and adjusts the fan speed.
Winix 5300-2 Air Filtration System
Winix 5300-2 comes with a multilayered air filtration/purification system:
- mechanical pre-filter is used for filtering out larger particles like pet and human hair and similar.
- carbon air filter is used for capturing various odors, Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs), smoke, and similar air pollutants. The carbon air filter is not washable and it should be replaced on average every 3 months.
- True HEPA air filter is used for capturing small particles. It captures 99.97% of 0.3 microns or larger particles, including various allergens like dust, smoke particles, pollen, mold spores, pet dander, microbes, etc.
- PlasmaWave air filtration system creates hydroxyls to neutralize bacteria, VOCs, gases, odors, and similar. PlasmaWave air filtration system emits very low amounts of harmful ozone - less than 10 parts per billion (0.01 parts per million), with OSHA ozone exposure levels of 0.1 parts per million or less, and EPA ozone exposure levels of 0.075 parts per million.
Note: PlasmaWave system may simply be turned off. After all, according to the manufacturer, Winix 5300-2 doesn't produce ozone at all, but after checking specifications and all available documentation, ozone is created in traces ... if at all ...
Winix 5300-2 Maintenance
Due to its size, the best option is to place Winix 5300-2 on the permanent location with some area free around the unit - 12-18 inches (~30 - 46 cm) behind the unit and 4 inches (~10 cm) on its sides, preferably on the flat floor.
Maintenance procedures include setting the unit to operate as required, keeping it clean, and changing the filters when required.
The carbon air filter should be replaced every 3 months and the HEPA air filter should be replaced every 12 months. Also, mechanical air pre-filter should be cleaned every 14-30 days, depending on the local conditions.
Since the level of air purification depends on the quality of air filters, it is of utmost importance to use the OEM air filter. Perhaps the best option is to get Winix 115115 Replacement Filter (Amazon link) which consists of 4 carbon and 1 HEPA air filters, which is enough for the whole year.
Also, there is an optional air filter that may be added onto the mechanical air filter - Winix 1712-0094-00 Ultimate Pet Filter U. This mechanical air filter becomes the first layer of air filtration, capturing large air particles, prolonging the operating life of other air filters.
Winix 1712-0094-00 Ultimate Pet Filter U comes in a box with 12 air filters, which are replaced on the monthly basis.
Winix 5300-2 comes with two years limited warranty.
Winix 5300-2 vs Winix 5500-2 Air Purifiers
Winix 5300-2 and Winix 5500-2 are two very similar true HEPA air purifiers by Winix. Their differences include:
- Winix 5300-2 and Winix 5500-2 differ in color, with Winix 5300-2 being grey, and Winix 5500-2 being black.
- Winix 5500-2 comes with remote control, while Winix 5300-2 doesn't support the use of remote control. None of these units support the use of WiFi and they can't be controlled via smartphone, tablet, and similar devices.
- Winix 5500-2 comes washable Advanced Odor Control (AOC) carbon air filter.
Other than that, these are two identical units.
Long story short: Winix 5300-2 is a very popular high-capacity true HEPA air purifier, simple to use and maintain.
It is very efficient in removing air pollutants, VOC, smoke, and other air pollution from the air, exhausting practically the clean air only.
Winix 5300-2 and Winix 5500-2 slightly differ, but general features and specifications are the same.