Alen BreatheSmart 75i True HEPA Air Purifier
Alen BreatheSmart 75i is a large true HEPA air purifier intended for large rooms and spaces, but very simple to use and maintain. Also, thanks to very quiet operation, lights Off, and air ionizer Off options, Alen BreatheSmart 75i can be used even in bedrooms.
Alen BreatheSmart 75i advanced features include WiFi connectivity and support for Alen Air App and an air quality sensor supporting Auto suction mode - all these features are easy to set up and use if required.
Published: July 7, 2022.
Alen BreatheSmart 75i True HEPA Air Purifier Features and Specifications
Alen BreatheSmart 75i True HEPA Air Purifier is a large unit, intended to be placed on the floor, with some area free around the unit - at least 2 feet on both sides and 1 foot behind the unit.
Alen BreatheSmart 75i features front bottom and side air intakes and top clean air exhaust - during operation unit not only purifies the air, but it helps mix and circulate bottom and ceiling air, equalizing the temperature and improving the air quality in general.
The physical dimensions of the unit are (H x W x D) 27 x 18.5 x 11.5 inches (~68.6 x 47 cm x 29.2 cm) and it weighs 27 pounds (~12.2 kg) - Alen BreatheSmart 75i is anything but compact and lightweight true HEPA air purifier.
Alen BreatheSmart 75i power rating ranges from 1.8 to 45 Watts, while the unit features a power cord 7 ft (~2.1 m) long - the power cord is long enough for most situations, but it could be somewhat longer.
But, its features more than justify its dimensions and weight.
Alen BreatheSmart 75i features a CADR (Clean Air Delivery Rate) of 347, but the manufacturer doesn't state for what kind of air pollutants - CADR rating is usually given for pollen, dust, and smoke.
Note: Alen BreatheSmart 75i can be equipped with three different types of air filters, optimized for different types of dirt. They also differ in price, but more on that later.
Alen BreatheSmart 75i features an air quality sensor signaling the user's current air quality condition via top signal light which can have five different colors, depending on the air quality.
Also, the air quality sensor supports the use of Auto Mode - the unit automatically adjusts the fan speed according to the current air quality.
For users that don't prefer Auto Mode, Alen BreatheSmart 75i features 5 different air speeds, each with different air flow (given in Cubic Feet per Minute):
- Speed 1: 95 CFM,
- Speed 2: 170 CFM,
- Speed 3: 240 CFM,
- Speed 4: 280 CFM,
- Turbo: 350 CFM.
Thanks to its features, the Alen BreatheSmart 75i air purifier is intended for areas up to 1300 sq. ft. (~121 m2), where it can purify whole air every 30 minutes.
Of course, lower speeds also mean slower air purification, but also lower noise - Alen BreatheSmart 75i noise levels range from 25 dB to 49 dB, which are very low values.
Alen BreatheSmart 75i controls are fairly simple and they include:
- Ionizer On/Off button - ionizer helps improve air filtration, but it also means that the operation is not ozone-free. When the ionizer is turned Off, the unit doesn't produce any ozone, but when the ionizer is turned On, the unit produces less than 0.001 PPM ozone.
Note: The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) requires ozone output of indoor medical devices to be no more than 0.05 ppm, which is at least 50(!) times higher than the ozone production by Alen BreatheSmart 75i when the ionizer is turned On.
- Air filter control light/button - indicated the quality of the air filter, signals the user when to change the air filter, and allows the user to reset the air filter light.
- The timer allows the user to set the unit to operate for the specified amount of time - 2h, 4h, and 12h.
- The on/Off button allows the user to turn the unit On/Off and to turn the control panel lights On/Off, which can be very handy when the unit is placed in bedrooms.
- The speed control button allows the user to set one of five specified fan speeds.
- The automatic mode button allows the user to set the Auto Mode On/Off.
- The child lock button allows the user to lock the control in order to prevent accidental changes in operation.
Note: controls are very simple to use, but when the unit arrives, be sure to check the Owner's Guide in order to get accustomed to your new air purifier.
Alen BreatheSmart 75i Air Filtration
Alen BreatheSmart 75i is a true HEPA H13 air purifier able to capture and filter out 99.99% of 0.1 microns particles, which is an excellent result.
Note: some sources claim 99.9% of 0.1 microns particles, but since they all claim H13 air purification level, then the unit is able to capture and filter out at least 99.95% of particles.
A multilayered air filtration system consists of an air pre-filter, a true HEPA air filter, and an air ionizer, which can be turned off.
- Air pre-filter stops larger airborne particles, protecting the main, true HEPA air filter. Air pre-filter can be and should be vacuumed using a gentle brush every few weeks.
- The main true HEPA air filter comes in several versions including an air filter for allergies, an air filter for allergies+odor, and an air filter for allergies+odor+smoke. Although an air filter for allergies, odor, and smoke is also the most expensive one, it is a highly recommended model since the main air filter lasts 12-15 months, making the price difference practically irrelevant.
- Ionizer produces ions that capture even the tiniest airborne particles that have managed to pass the true HEPA air filter. But, the ionizer also produces ozone (in trace amounts, at least 50x below the recommended safety level) and thus can be turned off.
For exact air filter replacement procedures, check the Owner's Guide.
Alen BreatheSmart 75i features a 1-year limited warranty, but when owners register their units on Alen's Official Website and purchase an annual subscription for an air filter, they can get a lifetime limited warranty on the Alen BreatheSmart 75i air purifier. Since the air filter must be replaced every 12-15 months, this option is highly recommended.
Long Story Short: Alen BreatheSmart 75i is an excellent, high-capacity, true HEPA air purifier. It is a large unit and should be placed in a permanent position on the floor.
But, it is also a very quiet unit, easy to use and maintain, featuring a good CADR rating, and has a lifetime limited warranty when an annual air filter subscription is purchased.
For more reviews and recommendations, feel free to check the Alen BreatheSmart 75i True HEPA Air Purifier Amazon link (link opens in the new window).