iRobot Roomba i3 vs i7 and iRobot Roomba i3+ vs i7+
iRobot Roomba i3/i3+ and iRobot Roomba i7/i7+ are very similar models both visually and technically, but they do differ in some very important details, leading to different not only features and performances but also prices.
But, both iRobot Roomba i3/i3+ and iRobot Roomba i7/i7+ are advanced robot vacuum cleaning systems that can come in very handy in keeping the home cleaner and safer, and more pleasant to live in.
Published: April 1, 2022.
iRobot Roomba i3 and i7 Models - Features and Similarities
iRobot Roomba i3 and i7 robot vacuums are both compact and lightweight robot vacuums that clean using a so-called three-point cleaning system: side brush, main brushrolls, and strong suction, ensuring thorough cleaning of bare floors and low-pile carpets.
Both units are able to clean medium-pile carpets, but they can get stuck on high-pile carpets.
Also, both units support the use of the Automatic Dirt Disposal Unit, which can greatly ease the maintenance of both units. And that is the only difference between "ordinary" and "plus" models:
- iRobot Roomba i3 model comes with an iRobot Roomba i3 that may support the use of the Automatic Dirt Disposal Unit,
- iRobot Roomba i3+ model comes with an iRobot Roomba i3 AND Automatic Dirt Disposal Unit,
- iRobot Roomba i7 model comes with an iRobot Roomba i7 that may support the use of the Automatic Dirt Disposal Unit,
- iRobot Roomba i7+ model comes with an iRobot Roomba i7 AND Automatic Dirt Disposal Unit.
Personally, if You are looking for an advanced vacuum cleaner, go for the model with an Automatic Dirt Disposal Unit that is able to store 30+ days of vacuumed dirt.
Both iRobot Roomba i3 and i7 models feature WiFi connectivity and support the use of the iRobot Home App - actually if You want to use any of the advanced features of these units, You must use iRobot Home App.
Both iRobot Roomba i3 and i7 models also support the use of Amazon Alexa and Google Home Assistant, they feature advanced navigation systems, can operate up to 70-80 minutes on bare floors, can be recharged in 90-120 minutes, come with a set of sensors that prevent them from bumping into walls and other objects and that should prevent them from falling the stairs, both units feature flexible Dual Multi-Surface Rubber Brushes that adjust to different floor types and avoid getting tangled with pet hair, etc.
They also feature dirt cups of very similar dimensions (Roomba i3 13.5 ounces, Roomba i7 13 ounces), etc.
iRobot Roomba i3/i3+ Quick Overview
iRobot Roomba i3+ features physical dimensions of 13.26 x 3.63 inches (~33.7 x 9.2 cm) and it weighs 7.44 pounds (~3.37 kg), while its Clean Base Automatic Dirt Disposal unit features physical dimensions of (W x D x H) 12.2 x 15.1 x 19 inches (~31 x 38.4 x 48.3 cm).
Other important features include:
- smart navigation system that allows the unit to vacuum home using neat rows cleaning pattern and which allows the Recharge and Resume feature,
- high-efficiency air filter traps 99% of cat and dog dander and other allergens,
- Automatic Dirt Disposal Unit can hold up to 60 days of collected dirt,
- Dirt Detect Technology helps the unit detect heavily soiled areas which are then vacuumed more thoroughly, etc.
iRobot Roomba i7/17+ Quick Overview
iRobot Roomba i7 weighs 7.44 lbs (3.37 kg), with the physical dimensions of 13.34 x 3.63 inches (33.9 x 9.22 cm).
Roomba i7 is suitable for vacuuming bare floors and low-pile carpets and is able to traverse 0.79 inches (~20 mm) high obstacles - deeper and softer carpets and area rugs may cause it to get stuck, just like Roomba i3 or any similar robot vacuum cleaner.
iRobot Roomba i7 features an advanced iAdapt 3.0 Navigation system with Visual Localization and Imprint Smart Mapping, both enabling features like:
- recharge and resume: if the battery is discharged during cleaning, the unit can stop the cleaning task, locate and automatically dock to the charging station, recharge the battery, and then resume the cleaning task.
- multi-room cleaning: unit navigates around the home and differentiates areas (kitchen, rooms, etc.)
- clean or schedule by room: unit can clean individual areas/rooms at different schedules.
- clean map reports: using iRobot HOME App, users can access clean maps and other reports.
- iRobot Roomba can memorize up to 10 different floor plans and can be used for vacuuming different home floors.
Also, iRobot Roomba features a high-efficiency air filter that traps 99% of small particles, including cat and dog dander and other allergens, Roomba i7+ comes with an Automatic Dirt Disposal Unit that can hold up to 60 days of collected dirt, while Dirt Detect Technology helps the unit detect heavily soiled areas which are then vacuumed more thoroughly, etc.
iRobot Roomba i3/i3+ and i7/i7+ Models Differences
iRobot Roomba i3 and i7 feature similar physical dimensions and weight, but they look slightly different.
Also, the Roomba i3 features a ring of fabric material, while the Roomba i7 is fully made of plastic.
The most important difference between these two units is their navigation system - the Roomba i7 comes with a much more advanced navigation system, thus:
- iRobot Roomba i7+ (7550) supports Smart Mapping and Smart Recharge and Resume features,
- iRobot Roomba i7+ (7550) supports the cleaning of specific rooms,
- iRobot Roomba i7+ (7550) supports the use of clean zones and keep-out zones.
And as such, iRobot Roomba i7+ (7550) costs more than iRobot Roomba i3+ (3550) robot vacuum cleaner and iRobot Roomba i7 costs more than iRobot Roomba i3.
Long Story Short: Which one is better, Roomba i3/i3+ or Roomba i7/i7+?
First of all, don't call me lazy, but Automatic Dirt Disposal Units are must-have items when going for an advanced robot vacuum cleaner - they save plenty of time and effort.
iRobot Roomba i3+ is a fine, well-designed, and balanced robot vacuum cleaning system, but iRobot Roomba i7+ with its advanced navigation system is, as a cleaning system, better.
If You are looking for a more affordable model, go for iRobot Roomba i3+. But, if You are looking for an advanced robot vacuum cleaner, and You don't mind paying some extra more, go for iRobot Roomba i7+.