Shark AZ2002 Vertex DuoClean PowerFins Upright Vacuum Cleaner
Shark AZ2002 Vertex DuoClean PowerFins Upright Vacuum Cleaner is a large and powerful, multi-surface vacuum cleaner designed and intended as the main vacuum cleaner even in large homes and apartments.
Thanks to the very strong suction motor and improved air pathways, redesigned DuoClean PowerFins main cleaner head, Powered Lift-Away design, and set of additional cleaning tools and attachments, Shark AZ2002 Vertex is able to clean very thoroughly both bare floors and carpeted areas, as well as elevated surfaces.
Updated: October 15, 2022.
Shark AZ2002 Vertex DuoClean PowerFins Features and Specifications
Shark AZ2002 Vertex comes with several key Shark cleaning technologies and features several important improvements over somewhat older models, including a very popular and also rather versatile Shark AZ1002 APEX upright vacuum cleaner.
These features include:
- DuoClean PowerFins: main cleaner head comes with a pair of different brushrolls optimized for different types of dirt. The first brushroll is a soft roller intended for picking up both small and large particles and debris, while the second brushroll features silicon PowerFins ensuring constant contact with the floor and more thorough cleaning.
Also, Shark AZ2002 Vertex comes with the brushroll self-cleaning technology, preventing hair wrap and helping with maintenance.
The main cleaner head features a transparent brushrolls cover, allowing the user to easily check the brushrolls condition.
Just in case, Shark AZ2002 Vertex comes with a brushroll indicator LED light, which signals the user the current condition of the brushrolls:
- Solid Green Light: brushrolls are operating as they should.
- Solid Red Light: brushrolls are jammed.
- Blinking Red Light: main cleaner head is overheating.
Note: Shark AZ2002 Vertex comes with many features, but it is a relatively simple-to-use and maintain vacuum cleaner. But, when it arrives, be sure to read the manual thoroughly in order to get accustomed to your new vacuum cleaner.
The main cleaner head also features strong LED headlights, helping the user with cleaning in low-light conditions, especially in the Powered Lift-Away configuration.
Powered Lift-Away technology allows the user to detach the Lift-Away Pod and clean floors using a powered (hence the "Powered Lift-Away" label) main cleaner head.
Instead of the main cleaner head, the user can attach various cleaning tools and attachments directly to the wand or to the handle (without the wand).
Shark AZ2002 Vertex is an easily configurable vacuum cleaner, allowing the user to configure the vacuum easily and with no tools required.
Active Glide Technology ensures that the relatively heavy vacuum cleaner (16.4 lbs, ~7.43 kg) smoothly glides over various surfaces, ensuring almost effortless cleaning.
Anti-Allergen Complete Seal Technology means that the whole unit is engineered to prevent the escape of the vacuumed air before the air is thoroughly filtered out.
Air filtration is based on the foam and felt air pre-filters and one HEPA exhaust air filter, ensuring the capture of 99.9% of 0.3 microns or large particles.
Air filters are washable, using plain water, with no soap or detergent. decreasing maintenance costs.
Foam and felt pre-filters should be cleaned once a month and replaced every two years, while HEPA air filter should be cleaned once a year and replaced every three years.
Note: never return the air filters to the unit until they are completely dry - operating Shark AZ2002 Vertex or any other similar unit with wet/moist air filters can damage the unit and render its 5-year limited warranty void.
Shark AZ2002 Vertex features physical dimensions of (L x W x H) 12 x 15.09 x 46.25 inches (~30.5 x 38.3 x 117.5 cm) and is rated at 1344 watts, featuring very strong suction over its 12 inches (30.5 cm) wide cleaning path.
Unit is powered via 30 feet (9.15 m) long power cord, which is manually wrapped around cord wrap hooks - despite its size, Shark AZ2002 Vertex doesn't feature an automatic power cord rewind system. But, it comes with a motor thermal protection system that shuts off the motor if its internal temperature starts to rise.
A flexible cleaning hose is 5.5 feet (~1.7) long, allowing the user to reach and clean surfaces from the floor to the ceiling, and in combination with the cleaning wand and power cord, it ensures a cleaning reach of almost 40 feet.
The dirt cup is transparent, allowing the user to see the type and amount of vacuumed dirt. The dirt cup capacity is 1 quart (~0.95 liters), allowing the user to vacuum a large area without the interruptions caused by the need to empty the dirt cup, which can be done via the dirt cup's bottom emptying system directly into the trashcan.
Shark AZ2002 Vertex controls are rather simple and straightforward - the power switch turns the unit On and Off, while the surface selector allows the user to set the cleaning mode according to the cleaned surface:
- Thick Carpet and Area Rug Cleaning,
- Carpet & Low Pile Cleaning,
- Hard Floor Cleaning.
Note: while in the upright position, even when turned On, brushrolls don't spin - the unit must be tilted backward in order for brushrolls to start to spin.
Shark AZ2002 Vertex Cleaning Tools and Attachments
To help with the cleaning of elevated surfaces, Shark AZ2002 Vertex features a flexible cleaning hose and cleaning wand. Also, it comes with:
- 8" Pet Crevice Tool is intended for vacuuming tight and narrow gaps and crevices, edges, corners, and similar surfaces.
Also, the 8" Pet Crevice Tool features rows of bristles, ensuring more thorough cleaning, especially the cleaning of the pet hair.
- Dusting Brush is used for vacuuming sensitive surfaces, like keyboards, blinds, fans, and similar.
- Self-Cleaning Pet Power Brush features an air-turbine-powered mini brushroll that cleans deeply embedded dirt, including pet hair, lint, fibers, and similar.
Thanks to the built-in self-cleaning technology, this Pet Power Brush requires almost no maintenance.
If other cleaning tools and attachments are required, they can be ordered later from various online shops.
These cleaning tools and attachments include some rather specialized cleaning tools that can come in very handy in many situations, like Anti-Allergen Dust Brush, Upholstery Tool, Duster Crevice Tool, Pet Multi-Tool, Multi-Angle Dusting Brush, Under-Appliance Wand, etc.
When ordering such cleaning tools, be sure to order for the exact vacuum model that You have, for example, Shark AZ2002 Vertex.
Shark DuoClean Lift-Away Upright Vacuums
Shark manufactures several upright vacuums based on their DuoClean and (Powered) Lift-Away technology. Some of these models are given in the following comparison chart with their most important features and specifications.
|Model||Shark LA502 Rotator||Shark APEX AZ1002||Shark AZ2002 Vertex||Shark AZ3002 Stratos|
|DuoClean Technology||Yes, PowerFins||Yes||Yes, PowerFins||Yes, PowerFins HairPro|
|Lift-Away||Yes||Yes, Powered Lift-Away||Yes, Powered Lift-Away||Yes, Powered Lift-Away|
|Anti-Allergen Complete Seal||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Odor Neutralizer Technology||No||No||No||Yes|
|Weight||12.3 lbs||17.1 lbs||16.4 lbs||17.2 lbs|
|Watts||910 W||1350 W||1344 W||1416 W|
|Cleaning Path Width||9.5 inches||11 inches||12 inches||10.6 inches|
|Power Cord||25 feet||30 feet||30 feet||30 feet|
|Cleaning Hose||6 feet||5.5 feet||5.5 feet||3 feet|
|LEDs||On floor nozzle||On floor nozzle and handle||On floor nozzle||On floor nozzle|
|Dirt Cup||0.89 quarts||0.88 quarts||1 quart||1.48 quart|
|Crevice Tool||Yes, 8 inches||Yes, 12 inches||Pet Crevice, 8 inches||Yes|
|Pet Power Brush||Yes, Self-Cleaning||Yes, Self-Cleaning||Yes, Self-Cleaning||Yes, HairPro Self-Cleaning|
|Warranty||5-Year Limited||5-Year Limited||5-Year Limited||5-Year Limited|
|Amazon Link||Shark LA502 Rotator Lift-Away ADV DuoClean PowerFins||Shark APEX AZ1002 DuoClean Zero-M Anti-Hair Wrap Powered Lift-Away||Shark AZ2002 Vertex DuoClean PowerFins||Shark AZ3002 Stratos DuoClean PowerFins HairPro Upright Vacuum|
Note: Amazon links open in the new windows, feel free to check them for the most up-to-date offers and prices.
Shark AZ2002 Vertex vs. Shark AZ1002 APEX
Shark AZ2002 Vertex and Shark AZ1002 APEX are two very similar vacuums, not just in terms of appearance but also in terms of features and specifications.
But, Shark AZ2002 Vertex is a newer model and comes with more advanced technologies, including:
- DuoClean PowerFins vs. DuoClean: both units feature DuoClean main cleaner heads, but the Shark AZ2002 Vertex comes with DuoClean PowerFins, ensuring nonstop contact with the cleaned surface, improving cleaning and requiring fewer passes to clean dirt and debris fully.
- both units are similarly rated (1350 watts vs. 1344 watts), but Shark AZ2002 comes with Vertex suction technology, improving suction strength and increasing the airflow. Powerful suction and good air filtration ensure the cleaning and capturing of both large and small dirt particles, allergens, and similar pollutants.
- Both units come with 30 feet long power cord and 5.5 feet long flexible cleaning hose, but Shark AZ2002 Vertex comes with a somewhat wider cleaning path (12 inches vs. 11 inches).
- Both units are Powered Lift-Away convertible upright vacuums, allowing the users to clean surfaces from the floor to the ceiling.
- Shark AZ2002 Vertex features a larger dirt bin, 1 quart vs. 0.88 quarts - this is not a large difference, but it can be very useful when vacuuming heavily soiled floors.
- Shark AZ2002 Vertex comes with an 8" Pet Crevice Tool, Dusting Brush, and Self-Cleaning Pet Power Brush, while Shark AZ1002 comes with a 12" Crevice Tool, Pet Multi-Tool, and Pet Power Brush.
Thanks to the various improvements, Shark AZ2002 Vertex is obviously a better vacuum cleaner, but it is also a more expensive vacuum. And it didn't 'outclass' the Shark AZ1002 APEX vacuum, which continues to be a rather popular model for people who need large, sturdy, and durable vacuum cleaner already tested by many users in real-life situations - who is going to be even cheaper than before :)
For the most up-to-date offers and prices, feel free to check the Shark APEX AZ1002 DuoClean Amazon link (the link opens in the new window).
Shark AZ2002 Vertex vs. Shark LA502 Rotator
Shark LA502 Rotator is another upright vacuum cleaner from the Shark that is based on the DuoClean PowerFins and Lift-Away technology, but it is designed as a lighter and more compact vacuum cleaner. Also, it is cheaper than Shark AZ2002 Vertex.
Differences and similarities between these two models include the following:
- Shark AZ2002 Vertex is a more powerful vacuum (1344 watts vs. 910 watts) that features a wider cleaning path (12 inches vs. 9.5 inches), a larger dirt cup (1 quart vs. 0.89 quarts), and a longer power cord (30 feet vs. 25 feet).
- Shark LA502 Rotator is a lighter unit (12.3 pounds vs. 16.4 pounds) with a somewhat longer flexible cleaning hose (6 feet vs. 5.5 feet).
- Both units feature DuoClean PowerFins main cleaner heads with self-cleaning brushroll and Anti-Allergen Complete Seal technology combined with washable foam, felt, and HEPA air filters.
- Shark LA502 Rotator is a Lift-Away vacuum, while Shark AZ2002 Vertex is a Powered Lift-Away vacuum - in Lift-Away configuration, Shark LA502 Rotator can't use its main cleaner head connected to the cleaning wand.
- Shark LA502 Rotator comes with an "ordinary" 8" Crevice Tool, Pet Multi-Tool (Stiff Bristle Brush combined with Upholstery Tool), and Self-Cleaning Pet Power Brush, while Shark AZ2002 Vertex comes with an 8" Pet Crevice Tool, Dusting Brush, and Self-Cleaning Pet Power Brush - some people appreciate Pet Multi-Tool regardless if they have pets or not, while other still prefer Dusting Brush for more detailed cleaning around the home.
Obviously, Shark LA502 Rotator comes with a more acceptable price, but it is nonetheless a very capable vacuum cleaner, more suitable for smaller and medium-sized homes and apartments.
For the most up-to-date offers and prices, feel free to check the Shark LA502 Rotator Lift-Away ADV DuoClean PowerFins Amazon link (link opens in the new window).
Shark AZ2002 Vertex vs. Shark AZ3002 Stratos
Shark AZ3002 Stratos is very similar to Shark AZ1002 and Shark AZ2002 vacuums, but it comes with several important improvements, especially regarding human and pet hair pickup and odor removal.
The main cleaner head and Pet power Brush tool feature improved PowerFins HairPro technology which helps with picking up hair, lint, and fibers and prevent hair tangles, helping with maintenance.
Also, Odor Neutralizer Technology improves odor removal, which can be very helpful for homes with pets.
If You already own a Shark AZ1002 or Shark AZ2002 vacuum, You already have an excellent vacuum cleaner.
But, if You are looking for a new upright vacuum cleaner, consider Shark AZ3002 Stratos.
For the most up-to-date offers and prices, feel free to check the Shark AZ3002 Stratos DuoClean PowerFins HairPro Upright Vacuum Amazon link (link opens in the new window).
Long Story Short: Shark AZ2002 Vertex is a strong and very capable upright vacuum cleaner based on various improved Shark technologies tried and tested on previous Shark vacuums.
Shark AZ2002 Vertex is designed for thorough and efficient cleaning of various types of stubborn dirt and debris from common surfaces found at homes, saving time and effort.
If You are looking for a premium upright vacuum cleaner comparable with the best vacuum of other manufacturers, consider this model - with the Shark AZ3002 Stratos being offered, some shops and online stores offer Shark AZ2002 Vertex at a very affordable prices.
For more reviews and recommendations, feel free to check the Shark AZ2002 Vertex DuoClean PowerFins Upright Vacuum Cleaner Amazon link (link opens in the new window).