Shark APEX AZ1002 DuoClean with Zero-M Powered Lift-Away Upright Vacuum
Shark APEX AZ1002 DuoClean with Zero-M Powered Lift-Away is versatile, bagless, corded vacuum cleaner. Shark APEX AZ1002 features several very important Shark's cleaning technologies, making it suitable as the main vacuum cleaner even in large houses and apartments, with or without pets and kids. Thanks to strong suction, good air filtration, several cleaning attachments, three cleaning modes and other features, Shark APEX AZ1002 can be used for cleaning surfaces from the floor to the ceiling.
Updated: June 30, 2020.
Out of the box, Shark APEX AZ1002 is not the prettiest vacuum on the market - obviously usability and functionality where on the first place.
Also, due to the many features it has, to use it fully and in most efficient way, it is highly recommended to read the manual thoroughly before the very first use, especially if You never had to deal with upright vacuum cleaner with extension hose and Powered Lift-Away feature.
Shark APEX AZ1002 Features and Specifications
Shark APEX AZ1002 combines several Shark's technologies that were present in previous models, but they never appeared combined in one, single unit:
- Shark DuoClean: main cleaner head features two different brushrolls working in unison to provide best cleaning possible. As they rotate, they help pick up various types of dirt from various surfaces, providing much better cleaning when compared with systems with 'only' one brushroll.
- Shark Zero-M: to help users clean pet and human hair from different floors, second brushroll is optimized for picking hair from bare floors and pulling deeply embedded hair from carpets and rugs. To decrease the maintenance task of cleaning brushrolls from entangled hair, second brushroll features Zero-M technology which automatically removes hair, making the maintenance mush easier and simpler.
- Advanced Anti-Allergen Complete Seal Technology: whole unit is designed to trap dirt, dust, pollen and other allergens inside the vacuum - no air is released back into the cleaned room before being filtered thoroughly.
- Noise Reduction Technology: although unit features rather strong motor, unit is not as loud as one would expect.
- Active-Glide Technology: main cleaner head features a pair of wheels and the swivel neck design, providing smooth maneuverability on both bare floors and carpeted areas. Also, due to the two spinning brushrolls, unit is slightly easier to push forward than to pull backwards.
- LED lights are available on the handle and on the floor nozzle. They help clean areas in low light conditions, regardless of the cleaning mode.
Powered Lift-Away technology means that the unit can be used in three different modes:
- Powered Lift-Away mode: Lift-Away pod is detached from the main cleaner head with wand and flexible hose. This configuration allows the unit to be used as the canister vacuum with the canister (Lift-Away Pod) being carried in the hand, providing extended reach and access to hard to clean surfaces, like under the beds, sofas and similar.
- Upright mode: unit is used as any other 'classic' upright vacuum.
- Above-Floor mode: unit is used with the handle detached from the wand, with the cleaning being done using one of the available cleaning tools. Also, Lift-Away pod also can be detached from the rest of the unit, extending the reach. This mode is suitable for cleaning stairs, upholstery, sofas, furniture etc.
Shark APEX AZ1002 main controls are on the handle, easily reachable regardless of the cleaning mode.
Power button powers on the unit, just note that the brushrolls will not spin until the unit/wand is reclined.
Floor selector features three settings: Hard Floors, Carpet/Low Pile Carpets and Thick Carpets/Area Rugs, allowing the user to choose according to the vacuumed surfaces.
Shark APEX AZ1002 weighs ~16 pounds (~7.25 kg), and it is far from being light vacuum cleaner.
It is powered with 1350 W (~11.3 Amps) motor providing plenty of suction. Power cord is 30 feet (~9.2 m) long, providing long reach using single wall power socket. Unit doesn't feature automatic power cord rewind system - power cord is manually wrapped around cord wrap hooks. Personally, for power cord this long, automatic rewind system would be great.
Shark APEX AZ1002 physical dimensions are (L x W x H) 12 x 11.2 x 46 inches (~30.5 x 28.5 x 117 cm).
Dirt bin is transparent, allowing the user to see amount and type of vacuumed dirt. Dirt bin capacity is 1.5 dry quarts (~1.65 liters), allowing the unit to clean relatively large area without emptying the dirt bin.
Dirt bin is emptied from below, allowing the user to empty it quickly and easily, without making a mess.
Air filtration is good and is based on pre-motor foam and felt air filters and post-motor HEPA filter. Shark APEX AZ1002 uses XHF650 HEPA air filter which is able to capture 99.97% of 0.3 microns or larger particles.
All filters are washable using plain water, even pleated HEPA filter.
Under normal usage, foam and felt filters should be washed every 3 months and HEPA filter should be washed every 12 months.
Between washes, it is recommended to tap loose dirt off the filters.
Note: when washing the filters, be sure to dry the filters thoroughly before assembling them back. Also, never use your vacuum with wet/moist filters and never use the unit with no filters. Such use may damage the unit.
Shark APEX AZ1002 Cleaning Attachments
Shark APEX AZ1002 comes with three cleaning attachments that are used for cleaning surfaces that can't be cleaned using main cleaner head:
- 12" (30.5 cm) Crevice Tool is designed for cleaning tight and narrow areas and places, like corners, edges, baseboards, gaps and similar.
- Pet Multi-Tool is 2-in-1 cleaning tool. Stiff bristle brush is designed for removing stuck-on hair and other debris from various surfaces commonly found at home. When the stiff bristle brush is detach, an upholstery tool designed for cleaning stubborn pet hair from upholstery and other similar sensitive surfaces is revealed.
- Motorized Pet Tool features motorized V-shape brushroll for picking up pet hair and stubborn dirt from car interiors, stairs, smaller carpets, tabletops, upholstery and other similar surfaces. Note that Motorized Pet Tool is slightly more 'aggressive' than Pet Multi-Tool and sensitive surfaces should be cleaned using Pet Multi-Tool. Also, Motorized Pet Tool is not maintenance free tool. Nonetheless, pet owners will appreciate a cleaning tool like this very much.
There are other cleaning attachments that can be used with Shark APEX AZ1002, and if/when required, they can be ordered online.
Shark APEX AZ1002 Safety Features
In order to protect the motor, Shark APEX AZ1002 features thermal protection. If or when the air flow is decreased through the unit, in order to protect the motor from overheating, thermal protection will shut off the motor. When that happens, unit must be turned off, and plugged out of the wall socket. After cleaning the blockages, dirt bin and tapping the air filters to remove loose dirt, let the unit cool down for at least 45 minutes in order to thermal protection to reset itself.
If everything is alright, unit will functions properly after turning it on again.
Brushrolls indicator light signals the user current condition of the brushrolls:
- Solid Green: brushrolls are spinning and working as they should.
- Solid Red: there is a blockage or jam in the brushrolls area. Unit should be turned off, unplugged and blockages removed.
- Flashing Red: brushrolls are overheating. Turn off the unit and let it cool down - also, check for the jams in that area. Before turning the unit back on, move surface selector to Thick Carpet/Area Rug mode.
Note: exact procedures for situations like these can be found in the manual.
Long Story Short: Shark APEX AZ1002 combines several cleaning technologies into one unit - DuoClean and Zero-M combo cleaner head picks up both small and large debris, pet and human hair and other dirt found at homes and apartments, while keeping maintenance tasks rather low.
Good suction and HEPA air filtration are very important for all people, not just people with health issues like asthma and allergies.
Air filters are washable and should last the lifetime of the vacuum. However, if required, they can be ordered from online shops easily.
Shark APEX AZ1002 comes with 5-year limited warranty, which is nice warranty for such vacuum.
So, if you are looking for a versatile upright vacuum which features not just 'cleaning hose', but Powered Lift-Away at very reasonable price, consider this vacuum.
For more reviews and recommendations, and the latest prices and offers, check Shark APEX AZ1002 Upright Vacuum Amazon link (link opens in the new window).