Hoover Smartwash Automatic Carpet Cleaner, Model FH52000
Hoover Smartwash Automatic Carpet Cleaner, Model FH52000 is a carpet cleaner designed to simplify carpet washing almost to the carpet vacuuming level.
Hoover FH52000 Smartwash features several, very innovative Hoover carpet cleaning technologies, like dual FlexForce PowerBrushes, cleaning formula Auto Mix, Auto Dry, HeatForce, etc.
Updated: April 12, 2022.
Hoover FH52000 Smartwash Features and Specifications
First of all, Hoover FH52000 Smartwash is a carpet cleaner and is designed and optimized for cleaning/washing carpets - if you need a cleaner/washer for bare floors, consider Hoover FH40165 FloorMate Deluxe Hard Floor Cleaner.
In order to simplify carpet washing, Hoover FH52000 Smartwash includes several important technologies:
- Automatic Cleaning Technology: when the unit is pushed, carpets are washed, and when the unit is pulled, carpets are dried. This system simplifies washing/drying cycles, but to improve the cleaning, the user has several more options like using the Dry-Only Button to switch to dry only function (hence the name). Also, for extra rinsing, it is enough just to remove the Solution Tank.
To help the user monitor washing/drying modes, the cleaner head features an automatic Wash/Dry LED display.
The unit features a comfortable, controls-free handle designed for longer operations. Various controls are placed around the unit but are easily accessible via foot or they require a slight bent by the user.
- Auto Mix: Hoover FH52000 features separate clean water and cleaning formula tanks and an automatic water-cleaning formula auto-mixing system that precisely mixes and dispenses the correct amount of solution for optimal cleaning of carpets. Again, during operation by removing the Solution tank, Hoover FH52000 is used in rinse-only mode.
- FlexForce PowerBrushes: Hoover FH52000 cleaner head features two brushrolls that clean carpets deeply, by removing deep and stubborn dirt and messes. Brushes are not maintenance-free - users can easily lift the removable nozzle and access the brushes.
- Auto Dry and HeatForce carpet drying technologies: Auto Dry extracts the water from the cleaned area, while HeatForce blows hot air onto the carpet. If the carpets are extra dirty or washed for the first time after a long time, it is recommended NOT to use more than 4 washing passes and to dry them thoroughly using Dry-Only Mode.
Actual drying time depends on many factors, including a number of 'wet' passes, a number of 'dry' passes, carpet thickness, local temperature and humidity, draft, and similar - generally, after 3-4 hours of drying, carpets are ready for use. Thicker and more dirty carpets usually require longer drying, for example, overnight.
Note: although Hoover FH52000 Smartwash is a simple to use carpet cleaner/carpet washer, before the very first use, be sure to thoroughly read the manual.
Also, it is recommended to use the Hoover FH52000 Smartwash carpet cleaner only on the surfaces marked with a "W" for Wet clean or "S/W" for Solvent/Dry or Wet cleaning. If the carpet is marked with "S" (Solvent/Dry clean only), don't clean it with any carpet washer.
Hoover FH52000 Smartwash physical dimensions are (D x H x W) 18.9 x 43.5 x 13 inches (48 x 110.5 x 33 cm) and it weighs 18.9 pounds (~8.56 kg) with empty tanks.
Hoover FH52000 Smartwash features a 'Dual Tank System', but actually it is a three-tank system - clean water tank, dirty water tank, and cleaning solution tank. All tanks are easily removable when required. The clean water tank capacity is 1 gallon, while the cleaning solution capacity is 20 ounces.
The unit doesn't feature a water heater, but in order to improve the cleaning, it is recommended to use warm (warm, not hot!) water.
The cleaning width is 12 inches (~30.5 cm), allowing the user to relatively quickly wash a large carpeted area - this of course depends on the carpet condition.
Also, to avoid uncleaned edges, the unit features edge brushes.
Unit is powered with 10 Amps motor and 22 feet (~6.7 m) long power cord. The power cord perhaps could be longer, but since there is no automatic power cord rewind system, the power cord is long enough.
Hoover FH52000 Smartwash also includes a 2-in-1 Antimicrobial Pet Tool, a sample bottle of cleaning solution, 8 feet (2.44 m) long cleaning hose, and an accessory storage bag.
A flexible cleaning hose and 2-in-1 Antimicrobial Pet Tool allow the user to clean elevated surfaces like stairs, seats, sofas, beds, etc.
2-in-1 Antimicrobial Pet Tool is used for regular cleaning, but also for cleaning extra dirty spots, pet messes, areas that are unreachable with the main cleaner head, etc.
2-in-1 Antimicrobial Pet Tool features two different inserts: rubber nub insert and bristle brush insert, for cleaning different types of dirt.
Note: it is also possible to order other cleaning tools if required. These tools include:
- SpinScrub Tool is a powered hand brush, designed for cleaning extra stubborn dirty spots and stains on stairs, upholstery, etc.
- Stair Tool features a wider cleaning path for faster cleaning of elevated surfaces.
- Crevice Tool is a long and narrow cleaning tool, designed to clean hard-to-reach areas like corners, baseboards, sofa cushions, etc.
Again, SpinScrub Tool, Stair Tool, and Crevice Tool are not available by default. Instead, they can be ordered online.
Hoover Cleaning Solutions
In order for Hoover FH52000 Smartwash to clean carpeted areas efficiently, the use of proper cleaning solutions/detergents is mandatory.
Hoover manufactures several cleaning solutions for carpet cleaning, including:
- Hoover PET PLUS Concentrated Formula, Pet Stain, and Odor Remover,
- Hoover Clean Plus Concentrated Solution Formula, Carpet Cleaner and Deodorizer,
- Hoover Expert Pet Carpet Washer Liquid Detergent,
- Hoover Expert Clean Carpet Washer Detergent Solution Formula.
Before the use, be sure to read the instructions that come with these cleaning formulas - they are safe, as long as they are used as recommended.
For cleaning extra dirty spots, carpet pretreat solutions may be used.
Hoover FH52000 Smartwash Frequently Asked Questions?
Here are some of the most popular Frequently Asked Questions about Hoover FH52000 Smartwash and carpet washing in general:
Can the Hoover SmartWash be used as a vacuum?
Generally, no, Hoover FH52000 Smartwash cannot be used as a vacuum - it is a carpet cleaner/washer, not a carpet vacuum.
Can you use Hoover SmartWash on hardwood floors?
Hoover FH52000 Smartwash cannot be used on hardwood floors - the unit is designed and intended for carpeted areas.
Will Hoover SmartWash work on high pile carpets and rugs?
Yes, Hoover FH52000 Smartwash works well on high pile carpets. Just be sure to increase drying time since thicker carpets and area rugs retain more water.
Does the Hoover SmartWash have a hose?
Yes, Hoover FH52000 Smartwash comes with an 8ft (~2.4 m) cleaning hose, allowing the user to clean elevated carpeted and upholstered surfaces.
Does Hoover SmartWash heat the water?
No, Hoover FH52000 Smartwash does NOT have a water heater, but the use of warm (warm, not hot!) water is recommended for improved cleaning.
What is the best way to clean hardwood floors?
Instead of risking your hardwood floors using Hoover FH52000 Smartwash, consider either a good hardwood vacuum cleaner or a good hardwood cleaner, like Hoover FH40160PC FloorMate Deluxe Hard Floor Cleaner Machine (Amazon link, link opens in the new window).
Do I use hot or cold water in my Hoover carpet cleaner?
Hoover FH52000 Smartwash supports the use of warm water, which may improve the cleaning effect.
What is the difference between Hoover FH52000 Smartwash and Hoover FH52050 Smartwash?
Hoover FH52000 Smartwash and Hoover FH52050 Smartwash are practically the same units, except that the Hoover FH52050 Smartwash also comes with an additional storage mat.
Long Story Short: Hoover FH52000 Smartwash is an excellent and easy-to-use carpet washer. It cleans deeply not only the carpeted floors, but also elevated surfaces.
If you need a good, full-size carpet washer, consider this unit. It is not a lightweight unit, but it is strong and sturdy and comes with a 5-year limited warranty and a rather acceptable price.
For more reviews and recommendations, check Hoover Smartwash Automatic Carpet Cleaner, FH52000 Amazon link (link opens in the new window).