Bissell 1940 PowerFresh Steam Mop vs. Bissell 19404 PowerFresh Pet Steam Mop
Bissell 1940 and 19404 are two very similar steam mops - they are simple to use, robust and affordable, and in the end, very popular steam mops. They are designed for cleaning hard floor surfaces like tiles, stone, vinyl, and similar, but they can also be used for cleaning certified sealed hardwood floors.
Like all other steam mops, one should be very careful with steam cleaning wooden floors using these steam mops.
Updated: March 10, 2023.
Bissell 1940 vs. 19404 Steam Mops - Main Differences
The main difference between Bissell 1940 and 19404 steam mops is in the:
- Label: Bissell 1940 Steam Mop is "PowerFresh Steam Mop", while Bissell 19404 steam mop is "PowerFresh Pet Steam Mop",
- Color: Bissell 1940 comes with a white body and blue water tank and with few more blue details, while Bissell 19404 comes with a white body and purple water tank and with few more purple details,
- Scented discs: Bissell 1940 comes with two Spring Breeze fragrance discs, and Bissell 19404 comes with two Odor Eliminating fragrance discs - hence the 'Pet' part of the 19404's name.
Everything else is practically the same - both units feature two cleaning microfiber pads: a soft microfiber mop pad for everyday cleaning and a soft microfiber mop pad with scrubbing strips for tough, stickier messes.
Mop pads are washable and reusable. Also, they feature a pocket for placing a scented disc.
Note: units don't feature a scrubbing mechanism of any kind - it is the user who has to provide the motion of the cleaning head with a microfiber pad. Again, this simplifies design, keeps the weight and the price low, and allows both units to come with two year warranty period, which is very good for the units in this price class.
Also, these units are steam mops "only"; they are not vacuum cleaners or steam mops/vacuum combos - if your floors are heavily soiled, vacuuming them first is recommended since it will speed up steaming significantly.
The cleaning path width is 12 inches (~30.5 cm), allowing the user to clean large areas of bare floors quickly.
For cleaning really tough messes, crevices, grout, and similar, both units feature a flip-down Easy Scrubber that can be engaged quickly when needed.
Carpet glider: steam mops are not the best cleaning tools for carpets. Nonetheless, using carpet glider attachments, steam mops can be used for 'refreshing' the carpets with steam.
Bissell 1940 and 19404 PowerFresh steam mops don't come by default with a carpet glider, but if required, it can be ordered later; just be sure to order a carpet glider for Bissell 1940/19404 steam mop(s).
Bissell 1940 and 19404 are corded units powered via 23 feet (~7 m) long power cord. Such power cords provide very good cleaning reach, allowing the user to clean a large area using a single power socket.
The power cord is manually wrapped around cord hooks - an automatic power cord rewind system would be nice, but it would increase the mechanical complexity of these units, weight, and price.
The power rating of these units is 1500 W, with ~30 seconds of heater warm-up time.
Units weigh 6 pounds (~2.72 kg) and are easy to carry around, even up and down the stairs.
Note: this is the weight of the units with empty water tanks.
Thanks to their lightweight design, swivel mechanism, and slim design, Bissell 1940 and 19404 are very maneuverable units, being able to easily clean around and even under furniture, beds, and similar objects, and other potential obstacles.
The water tank capacity is 16 oz (~0.47 liters) - using distilled, or demineralized water is highly recommended for proper operation since tap water can cause deposits buildup inside the units.
- Bissell sells demineralized water with the scent that can be used with 1940/19404 or any other steam mop. Scented water increases the feeling of freshness after the cleaning, but it contains no cleaning agent of any kind - it is the steam in combination with microfiber pads that do the actual cleaning.
- The use of cleaning agents with these steam mops is forbidden - they can cause various issues during operation and maybe even cause health issues due to exposing the cleaning agents to high temperatures.
Some people prefer the use of scented water over scented discs. Also, although the scent of these cleaning aids is not strong, some people prefer to dilute scented water with ordinary distilled water - such 'thin' scented water still leaves a fresh scent of the cleaned floors, but the scent is weaker.
IMHO, this depends on the individual preferences, so please, do as you like, but whatever you do, be sure to thoroughly read the manual/instructions before the very first use.
Bissell 1940/19404 steam mops feature variable steam control systems with three steam settings - Low, Medium, and Strong.
- Low setting is intended for cleaning sealed hardwood floors. Cleaning of waxed or unsealed wooden and similar floors should be avoided. Waxed floors can lose their gloss and shine, while steam can enter the wood through cracks and cause the wood to buckle and even rot.
- Medium setting is intended for everyday cleaning of tiles, marble, stone, and similar, heat-resistant floors.
- Strong setting is used for cleaning stubborn stains and dirt from the heat-resistant floors, with or without the use of the 'Easy Scrubber.'
Using the steam mop, it is possible to sanitize the floor since hot steam cleans but also kills bacteria, viruses, and other pathogens, while the microfiber cleaning pad removes the dust and other dirt off the floor.
Steam mops are often advertised to kill 99.9% of bacteria and germs - this is the result of lab tests.
In real life, the actual result can be even better if the steam is left to heat and sanitize the floor for a longer period of time - if the floors can tolerate such heating and cooling cycles, of course.
Bissell 1940 vs. 19405 Steam Mops
Bissell 1940 and 19405 are two very similar steam mops, differing only in color (1940 - white with blue water tank; 19405 - white with light blue water tank) and the fact that Bissell 19405 doesn't feature scented discs by default.
Other than that, these two steam mops are practically the same - wattage (1500W), power cord (23 ft.), tank capacity (16 ounces), weight (~6 pounds), the cleaning path width (12 inches), etc.
Bissell 1940 vs. 1806 Steam Mops
Bissell 1940/19404 steam mops are very similar to Bissell 1806 steam mop in terms of performance, steam mop pads, and the use of scented discs/demineralized water, but they also differ in several very important details, including:
- Bissell 1806 comes with a longer power cord, 25 feet vs. 23 feet,
- Bissell 1806 comes with a somewhat larger water tank (19 vs. 16 ounces),
- Bissell 1940 features a detachable water tank, while Bissell 1806 comes with a filling water cup,
- Bissell 1940 features a flip-down Easy Scrubber, while Bissell 1806 features the so-called SpotBoost Brush, which requires the user to detach the main steam mop head from the rest of the unit,
- Bissell 1940 features three steam settings, while Bissell 1806 features two steam settings.
Personally, Bissell 1940 is a better steam mop, easier to use (just flip down Easy Scrubber when needed), and with better steam control.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some of the most common Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) about Bissell PowerFresh and other steam mops:
Why is my Bissell PowerFresh steam mop not steaming?
The water heater is either not working or not working properly. Check if the steam mop is properly plugged into the wall socket and if it is turned ON.
Also, try to change the steam settings and verify that the wall power socket electric breaker is not tripped.
Check the power cord for any damage.
If this doesn't help, turn off the steam mop, unplug it from the wall and check the troubleshooting procedures in the manual, and if required, contact support.
What do I put in my Bissell steam mop?
It is highly recommended to use distilled and/or demineralized water. Also, Bissell Scented Water is an excellent choice.
Is Bissell PowerFresh steam mop good for hardwood floors?
If the hardwood floors are sealed and have a finish that supports such cleaning, then yes, Bissell PowerFresh steam mops are good for such hardwood floors, using a low steam setting.
How often do you need to change steam mop pads?
It is recommended to replace steam mop pads after each cleaning task or when it gets dirty.
Also, one steam mop pad can be machine washed at least 20-30 (floor, dirt, and general use dependent) times.
Where does the dirt go when you steam clean?
The dirt stays captured in the steam mop pad, which must be replaced and washed regularly.
Long Story Short: Bissell 1940 PowerFresh Steam Mop and Bissell 19404 PowerFresh Pet Steam Mop are simple but very versatile steam mops. They are affordable units that do their job quickly and efficiently - hence they are also very popular units.