iRobot Roomba i3+ (3550) Robot Vacuum
iRobot Roomba i3+ (3550) Robot Vacuum is a well-balanced robot vacuum cleaner, combining good vacuuming over various floor types with automatic dirt disposal. Also, iRobot Roomba i3+ (3550) supports the use of Amazon Alexa and Google Home Assistant and iRobot smartphone App which offers the users many advanced features.
iRobot Roomba i3+ (3550) cannot replace the main vacuum cleaner, especially not for vacuuming the elevated surfaces, but it can help the user to keep the floors clean, saving plenty of time and effort.
Published: August 17, 2021.
iRobot Roomba i3 vs iRobot Roomba i3+
First things first - many people wonder about the difference between iRobot Roomba i3 and iRobot Roomba i3+ robot vacuum cleaners.
The only difference between these two units is that iRobot Roomba i3+ (3550) Robot Vacuum comes with the Clean Base Automatic Dirt Disposal unit which can hold up to 60 days of dirt vacuumed by the iRobot Roomba i3+ robot vacuum.
Practically, both iRobot Roomba i3 and iRobot Roomba i3+ use the same robot vacuum cleaner for vacuuming.
Personally, since iRobot Roomba i3/i3+ robot vacuum comes with the brushrolls that prevent hair-tangles (no need to remove tangled hair every now and then), Clean Base Automatic Dirt Disposal unit is a must-have unit in order to save time need for the robot vacuum maintenance.
Don't get me wrong, iRobot Roomba i3+ must be maintained as well, but it is now so much easier than before...
iRobot Roomba i3+ Robot Vacuum Features and Specifications
iRobot Roomba i3+ is a very compact unit, featuring physical dimensions of 13.26 x 3.63 inches (~33.7 x 9.2 cm) and it weighs 7.44 pounds (~3.37 kg).
Such compact dimensions allow the unit to easily navigate home and to reach and clean areas like under sofas and beds.
Clean Base Automatic Dirt Disposal unit features physical dimensions of (W x D x H) 12.2 x 15.1 x 19 inches (~31 x 38.4 x 48.3 cm) and should be placed against the wall with some free area around the unit to allow the unit to easier dock with the Clean Base.
iRobot Roomba i3+ features three stages cleaning system, consisting of a single side brush, Dual Multi-Surface Rubber Brushes, and strong suction.
- a single side brush is combined with various sensors that help the unit clean corners, edges, and other hard-to-reach surfaces, improving cleaning performances.
- Dual Multi-Surface Rubber Brushes allow the iRobot Roomba i3+ to deeply clean carpets, but also bare floors. Also, the unit features an automatic cleaning head height adjustment system, improving the cleaning on various floors.
- when compared with robot vacuums of the iRobot 600 series, iRobot Roomba i3+ features 10x improved suction.
Other important features include:
- smart navigation system that allows the unit to vacuum home using neat rows cleaning pattern and which allows the Recharge and Resume feature,
- high-efficiency air filter traps 99% of cat and dog dander allergens,
- iRobot Home App features many additional options including personal scheduling suggestions, seasonal recommendations, etc. iRobot Roomba i3+ can be used without the smartphone App, but its use is highly recommended,
- Dirt Detect Technology helps the unit detect heavily soiled areas which are then vacuumed more thoroughly,
- iRobot Roomba i3+ supports the use of Amazon Alexa and Google Home Assistant, etc.
People with large, open bare floors should consider having both iRobot Roomba i3+ robot vacuum and iRobot Braava Jet M6 (6110) robot floor mop - these units can team up in order to vacuum first then to mop automatically, improving the cleaning. And both units can be controlled with just a voice command (Amazon Alexa or Google Home Assistant required) or using the iRobot Home App.
For more information about the robot floor mop, feel free to check the iRobot Braava Jet M6 (6110) Amazon link (link opens in the new window).
iRobot Roomba i3+ comes with a broad set of sensors helping it to map the home and to maneuver in the most efficient way.
In order to prevent the unit from reaching certain areas, the use of a Dual Mode Virtual Wall Barrier is recommended.
Dual Mode Virtual Wall Barrier feature two modes:
- Virtual Wall Mode blocks openings (doors, for example) of up to 10 feet (~3 m) across,
- Halo Mode creates a 4 feet (~1.2 m) diameter keep out zone.
Dual Mode Virtual Wall Barrier (Amazon link, opens in the new window) can be ordered later if required. Or simply close the door in order to prevent the unit from entering certain areas.
iRobot Roomba i3+ Maintenance
Thanks to its (almost) tangle-free brushes and Clean Base, iRobot Roomba i3+ is very easy to maintain.
Maintenance tasks include:
- Air Filter: clean once per week (twice if You have pets), replace every 2 months,
- Dirt Bin: wash as needed,
- Full Bin Sensor: clean every 2 weeks,
- Side Brush and Multi-Surface Brushes: clean once a month (twice if You have pets), replace every 12 months. If the side brush is visibly worn out, replace it even sooner,
- Sensors and Charging Contacts: Clean every month,
- Clean Base Dirt Bag: replace when filled with dirt.
In order to keep the unit in top shape, always choose OEM spare parts, with iRobot Replenishment Kit and Clean Base Automatic Dirt Disposal Bags (Amazon links, open in the new window), being highly recommended.
iRobot Roomba i3+ (3550) vs. iRobot Roomba i7+ (7550)
iRobot Roomba i3+ (3550) and iRobot Roomba i7+ (7550) are two visually very similar units that support the use of Clean Base and automatic dirt disposal but they also differ in several very important details:
- iRobot Roomba i7+ (7550) features the set of improved sensors and improved navigation system, supporting Smart Mapping and Smart Recharge and Resume features,
- iRobot Roomba i7+ (7550) supports the cleaning of specific rooms,
- iRobot Roomba i7+ (7550) supports the use of clean zones and keep-out zones.
And as such, iRobot Roomba i7+ (7550) costs more than iRobot Roomba i3+ (3550) robot vacuum cleaner.
For more information, feel free to check the iRobot Roomba i7+ (7550) Amazon link (link opens in the new window).
Long Story Short: If You are looking for a balanced robot vacuum with automatic dirt disposal that is able to keep various floor types clean, consider this unit.
Its Clean Base can hold up to 60 days of collected dirt, its brushes thoroughly clean both carpeted areas and bare floors and prevent hair tangles, side brush cleans edges and corners, advanced navigation system allows the unit to clean the area using rows pattern, the unit can resume the cleaning task after recharging, etc.
For more reviews and recommendations, feel free to check the iRobot Roomba i3+ (3550) Robot Vacuum Amazon link (link opens in the new window).