Dyson Ball Animal 2 and Dyson Ball Animal 2 Total Clean Upright Vacuum Cleaners
Dyson Ball Animal 2 and Dyson Ball Animal 2 Total Clean Upright Vacuum Cleaners are two very similar corded, bagless upright vacuum cleaners with flexible cleaning hoses. They are large and heavy units, but also very strong and durable. Thanks to the Dyson's Ball Technology, swivel mechanism and general design, they are also very maneuverable vacuum cleaners.
Main cleaning nozzle can't reach deep under beds and sofas, but flexible hose and available cleaning attachments help the user clean surfaces from the floor to the ceiling.
Updated: August 28, 2019.
Dyson Ball Animal 2 and Dyson Ball Animal 2 Total Clean Features and Specifications
Dyson Ball Animal 2 and Animal 2 Total Clean weigh 17.5 pounds (~7.9 kg) and are far from being light unit to carry around, especially at homes with stairs.
Center of gravity is very low and most of the mass rests on the floor itself.
Unit's physical dimensions are (H x W x D) 42.1 x 15.4 x 13.4 inches (~107 x 39 x 34 cm).
Dyson Ball Animal 2 and Animal 2 Total Clean are powered using 35 feet (~10.7 m) long power cord, giving the units rather large cleaning radius using just one wall socket. To increase range even further and to clean elevated surfaces as well, units come with flexible cleaning hose which increase total reach up to 50 feet (~15.2 m).
Due to the specific design, Animal 2 doesn't come with automatic power cord rewind system - power cord is wrapped around cable hooks for storage.
Maximum suction achieved by these units are impressive 306 Air Watts and they are one of the strongest vacuums in their class.
Dirt bin capacity is 0.55 gal and is more than large enough for vacuuming large homes and apartments, without interruptions required for emptying the dirt bin. Also, dirt bin is transparent and it allows the user to see type and amount of cleaned dirt. Dirt bin is emptied easily from the bottom.
Air filtration is achieved using cyclonic dirt-air separation and with the use of mechanical air filters. Air filters are washable and they are designed to last the lifetime of the vacuum. Dyson Ball Animal 2 and Animal 2 Total Clean are true HEPA vacuum cleaner, capturing at least 99.97% of dirt particles 0.3 microns or larger in size.
Note: when washing filters, always let them dry thoroughly - never assemble the unit with wet air filters and never vacuum wet or moist dirt.
Since these are large, expensive, but also very versatile vacuums, be sure to read the manual/instructions thoroughly and get accustomed to your new vacuum.
Dyson Ball Animal 2 vs. Dyson Ball Animal 2 Total Clean
Dyson Ball Animal 2 and Dyson Ball Animal 2 Total Clean are two very similar vacuums - their main difference is in color and in the available attachments. The following table lists their similarities and differences:
|Model||Dyson Ball Animal 2||Dyson Ball Animal 2 Total Clean|
|Power Cord||35 feet (~10.7 m)|
|Suction Power||306 Air Watts|
|Total Reach||50 feet (~15.2 m)|
|Physical Dimensions (H x W x D)||42.1 x 15.4 x 13.4 inches (~107 x 39 x 34 cm)|
|Weight||17.5 pounds (~7.9 kg)|
|Warranty||5 Year Limited Warranty|
|Tangle-Free Turbine Tool||Yes||Yes|
|Reach Under Tool||No||Yes|
|Carbon Fiber Soft Dusting Brush||No||Yes|
|Articulating Hard Floor Tool||No||Yes|
|Amazon Link||Dyson Ball Animal 2 Upright Vacuum||Dyson Ball Animal 2 Total Clean|
Note: Amazon affiliate links open in the new windows, feel free to check them for most up-to-date prices and offers.
As one can see, the most important difference is in the list of available attachments.
Dyson Ball Animal 2 vacuum comes with several very important cleaning attachments, but Dyson Ball Animal 2 Total Clean comes with practically all attachments one may need when cleaning home or apartment - hence the name 'Total Clean'. Additional attachments include Reach Under Tool, Carbon Fiber Soft Dusting Brush, Tool Bag, Mattress Tool, Multi-Angle Brush and Articulating Hard Floor Tool.
Main cleaning head is self-adjusting and is designed to clean both bare floors and carpeted areas. Rotating brush penetrates deep into the carpets and help remove dust, pollen, pet hair and other stubborn dirt.
Over time hair, lint and other fibers can wrap around the brush which then must be cleaned. Brush is positioned under transparent cover allowing the user to see it in action and react if required.
For cleaning sensitive and delicate bare floors, brushroll is turned off by the user to prevent any damage.
Stair tool is much smaller than the main cleaning head, allowing it to easily clean stairs, upholstery, smaller carpeted areas, under the beds etc.
It can be used on the wand or on the hose, providing the user with great flexibility when cleaning most common surfaces found at home.
Tangle Free Turbine Tool is excellent tool for cleaning hair and similar dirt from upholstery, stairs, furniture etc. It is powered using 'clean air' turbine and it consists of two angled brushes - as the brushes spin, they pick the hair off the surface and then the strong air stream strip of the hair off the brushes.
This is very valuable tool, not only for pet owners.
Combination Tool is 2-in-1 cleaning tool. It combines dusting brush and crevice tool - dusting brush is used for cleaning dust and other small particles from sensitive surfaces, while crevice tool is used for cleaning dirt from tight and narrow spaces, including edges, corners, gaps between seats etc.
When being used attached to the wand, it can easily reach ceilings and other elevated surfaces.
Reach Under Tool is low-height tool, designed for cleaning under appliances, furniture, sofas etc.
When cleaning for the first time with this tool, don't be surprised with the amount of dirt it cleans from hard-to-reach areas.
|Carbon Fiber Soft Dusting Brush uses densley packed soft carbon fibers which prevent static and help the unit to pick up fine dust from sensitive and gentle surfaces.|
Tools Storage Bag is used for storing cleaning attachments when they are not in use.
For faster cleaning, some tools can be carried onboard the unit, for example Combination Tool or some other commonly used cleaning tool, but it would be almost impossible and very impractical to carry them all onboard the vacuum.
Mattress Tool is designed for cleaning mattresses, upholstery and similar surfaces.
During operation, tool is pressed gently onto the mattress, allowing the strong suction to pull out deeply embedded dirt and bed bugs.
However, to thoroughly clean your mattress, consider getting a good mattress vacuum cleaner.
Nonetheless, Mattress Tool does its job well.
Multi-Angle Brush is designed for cleaning elevated, hard to reach, often awkward areas.
Cleaning dust and other debris from the top of the doorways, high bookshelves, ceiling fans and similar surfaces is much easier using Multi-Angle Brush mounted on the wand than using any other tool.
Articulating Hard Floor Tool is used for cleaning tiles, hardwood floors, laminate and other bare floors.
It is designed to easily pick up various dirt off the floors, while strong suction removes the dirt into the vacuum.
Thanks to the swiveling mechanism, Articulating Hard Floor Tool can reach under and around floor objects and obstacles with ease.
Dyson Ball Animal 2 and Dyson Ball Animal 2 Total Clean come with 5 year warranty - very nice warranty, even for more expensive vacuums.
Dyson Ball Animal 2 Total Clean vs. Dyson Cinetic Big Ball Animal Upright Vacuums
Dyson Ball Animal 2 Total Clean and Dyson Cinetic Big Ball Animal upright vacuums are large, strong and durable vacuums, with few, very important differences:
- Dyson Ball Animal 2 is somewhat lighter vacuum - 17.5 vs 19.2 pounds. However, both units are of similar 'Ball' design, have very low center of gravity and most of the weight rest on the floor - thus, they are easy to push/pull along the floors and are very maneuverable.
- Both units have the same reach - 35 feet long power cords, with maximum reach of 50 feet thanks to the flexible cleaning hose.
- Dyson Ball Animal 2 has somewhat smaller dirt bin - 0.55 vs 0.57 gal. Obviously, both units can vacuum large area without stopping for emptying the dirt bin.
- Dyson Ball Animal 2 has much stronger suction - 306 vs 180 Air Watts. This is because these unit use different 'Cyclone Filtering Technology'. Dyson Ball Animal 2 uses 'Radial Root Cyclone Technoloy', while Dyson Cinetic Big Ball Animal uses 'Dyson Cinetic Cyclone Filtering Technology'.
Thanks to the 'Dyson Cinetic Cyclone Filtering Technology', Dyson Cinetic Big Ball Animal doesn't have filters that must be periodically washed, unlike Dyson Ball Animal 2 which comes with washable lifetime mechanical air filter.
Note: 180 Air Watts of suction is still excellent suction.
- Both units are true HEPA vacuums, which can be very important not only for people having issues with asthma and allergies!
- Dyson Ball Animal 2 comes with the same set of cleaning tools like Dyson Cinetic Big Ball Animal: self-adjusting cleaner head for carpets and hard floors, high-reach wand, stair tool, combination tool and tangle-free turbine tool. Dyson Ball Animal 2 Total Clean come with additional attachments, including Reach Under Tool, Carbon Fiber Soft Dusting Brush, Tool Bag, Mattress Tool, Multi-Angle Brush and Articulating Hard Floor Tool.
Also, all three units come with 5 year warranty period.
So, Dyson Ball Animal 2 vs. Dyson Cinetic Big Ball Animal, which one to buy? If you don't like the idea of washing air filters, then choose Dyson Cinetic Big Ball Animal. It is slightly heavier machine, with weaker suction and it is also slightly more expensive vacuum - when found on sale, price both of these units can be very similar.
Dyson Ball Animal 2 Total Clean costs more than Dyson Ball Animal 2, but it comes with impressive list of cleaning attachments, well worth the price difference, especially for people with large homes.
For the best offers, check Dyson Cinetic Big Ball Animal Upright Vacuum Amazon link (link opens in the new window).
Dyson Ball Animal 2 Total Clean vs. Dyson V8 Animal Upright Vacuums
There is a big difference between Dyson Ball Animal 2/Dyson Ball Animal 2 Total Clean and Dyson V8 Animal upright vacuums.
Dyson Ball Animal 2 is 'classic' bagless and corded upright vacuum with extension cleaning hose, while Dyson V8 Animal is convertible bagless and cordless 2-in-1 upright/stick and handheld vacuum cleaner. Although they differ significantly in design and in the end, performances, they both can be used as the main vacuum cleaner at homes and apartments, especially Dyson Ball Animal 2.
- Dyson V8 Animal is cordless unit powered with power fade-free lithium ion battery. Maximum operating time is 40 minutes in normal mode and 7 minutes in maximum suction mode. Although Dyson V8 Animal doesn't depend on the power cord for operation, its operating time is limited by the fact that it is battery operated unit. Dyson Ball Animal 2 operating range is limited by the power cord, but as long as there is mains power present, it can work almost indefinitely.
- Dyson Ball Animal 2 has much stronger maximum suction: 306 Air Watts vs 115 Air Watts. Note: these 115 Air Watts is achieved in 'maximum suction (burst) mode' and in this mode, its battery doesn't last long ('only' 7 minutes).
- Dyson Ball Animal 2 is much heavier unit - 17.5 vs 5.63 pounds. Dyson V8 Animal can be easily carried around, even up and down the stairs.
- Dyson V8 Animal has much smaller dirt bin - 0.14 gal vs. 0.55 gal. When cleaning heavily soiled floors, its dirt bin must be emptied more often.
- Both units are true HEPA vacuum cleaners with cyclonic dirt-air separation in combination with washable mechanical air filters.
- Both units come with similar set of cleaning tools designed to clean various dirt, including pet hair from most common surfaces found at home. However, Dyson Ball Animal 2 Total Clean comes with much more cleaning attachments than Dyson V8 Animal.
Note: Price of the Dyson V8 Animal and Dyson Ball Animal 2 is very similar. Dyson V8 is one of the best cordless units in its class - we are comparing here top-of-the-line cordless unit with top-of-the-line upright vacuum cleaner. There are just few cordless vacuums on the market that can be compared with such uprights, Dyson V8 Animal being one of them.
So, Dyson Ball Animal 2 vs. Dyson V8 Animal, which one to buy? If you need a main vacuum cleaner for larger home and apartment, go for Dyson Ball Animal 2 or Dyson Ball Animal 2 Total Clean upright vacuums. If you need a cordless unit that can be used as the main vacuum cleaner in smaller homes and apartments and can be used in emergencies, go for Dyson V8 Animal.
For the best offers, check Dyson V8 Animal Cord Free Vacuum Amazon link (link opens in the new window).
Note: Dyson V8 is being slowly replaced by the Dyson V10, which comes with even more impressive performances, at least for the cordless vacuums. For more about these units, check our Dyson V6 vs V7 vs V8 vs V10 Cordless Vacuums article.
Long Story Short: Dyson Ball Animal 2 is one of the best uprights in its class and worth every cent one has to pay for it. It has excellent suction, long reach, various cleaning tools, and maneuvers easily as it traverse different floor types.