Steam Mop Carpet Gliders - What, Where, How?
Steam mops are designed for cleaning bare floors like tile, vinyl, laminate, stone, marble and similar. They are not designed for cleaning carpets and rugs, but using simple 'carpet glider' cleaning attachment, steam mops can be used for carpet surface cleaning, refreshing and reviving.
Published: May 2, 2019.
When steam mops are used without any additional attachment for cleaning carpets, rugs and similar 'carpeted' surfaces, microfiber cleaning pads tend to get stuck into the carpet, especially when the steam mop is pushed away from the user. When the user pulls the steam mop across the carpet, steam mop can, up to the point, travel across the carpet.
To avoid such situations, special cleaning attachment called 'carpet glider' can be attached to the steam mop's cleaning head with microfiber pad.
Carpet glider enables the steam mop to travel across the carpeted areas and clean the carpets and rugs using hot steam.
However, there are few potential issues with using carpet gliders and steam mops in general for cleaning carpets and rugs:
- carpets and rugs must be certified for cleaning with steam mops and steam vacuums and must tolerate high temperature,
- even if you carpets and rugs can be cleaned using steam mops, never, but really never leave your steam mop to operate (produce steam) on a single position - it may damage the carpet even certified for cleaning with steam mop,
- if you have steam mop that is certified for the use of tap water, go for distilled and/or demineralized water. Such water leaves no residue of any kind on carpets, rugs or steam mop water heater,
- scented demineralized/distilled water can increase the feeling of cleanliness and freshness,
- although steam mops leave very little moisture in the carpets, if your carpet is placed on the wooden floor, check if the wood has proper finish - cracks in the wood finish can lead to the moisture penetrating the wood, making it wobble and even rot.
- steam mops clean, freshen and revive only the carpet's surface. For more thorough carpet cleaning a good carpet vacuum or washer is required.
Carpet gliders are made of molded plastic, they are flexible and durable and perhaps the most important, they are rather cheap.
If you plan on using your steam mop for cleaning carpets too, be sure to get carpet glider for that specific steam mop model. And if possible, always vacuum the carpets first, especially if you have good carpet vacuum with motorized brushroll.